Sunday, January 27, 2013

How to Install Logitech Media Server on WD LIVE NAS

It took a while to figure out how to install Logitech Media server for squeezebox on my WD Live NAS. There are couple of forums in the net, but here is the summary. It worked for me in the first attempt

First, You need tool like putty (Free), to access shell. So download Putty from http://www.putty.org/

1) Access your WD Live home page, either by name or ip address

http://192.168.x.x/UI/SSH
or
http://mybooklive/UI/ssh

Enable SSH Access, as shown below.



2) Now launch Putty, Login to SSH with the IP address above



3) Enter the login credentials in the resulting command prompt (ssh)
login as: root
password:welc0me




Now there are 2 options, Logitech Media Server by default uses port 9000. If you have Twonky media server running in your NAS, it already uses 9000.

1) So, you can either change Twonky Port to something else ( say 8000), and install logitech media server
or
2) Install Logitech media server, and it will figure out the next available port (as 9000 is already used), most probably you will end with 9001 or 9002. I went with Option 1

Option 1 ( Change Twonky Port to 8000)
Copy paste the following commands in the above shell prompt,
1) Stop Twonky server
/etc/init.d/twonky stop

Edit Twonky Config file using vi editor. These 3 basic commands should help you.
To save and exit vi editor   :wq  (command includes colon)
to exit without saving (if you mess up )  :q!


2) Open Config in vi editor
vi /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-server.ini

You can use up/down arrow to scroll through and locate httpport, press letter 'a' to be insert mode, and edit it as shown



 save the file  :wq

3) Start Twonky server,
/etc/init.d/twonky start

4) You can see it running, by access the web page, in my case with my IP
http://192.168.1.1:8000/


Now lets proceed with Option 2 to install Logitech Media server
Option 2
back into shell command, copy paste these commands line by line. third line with wget downloads the file. If you have newer version, just change the file url

cd /DataVolume/shares/Public
aptitude update
wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.7.2/logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb 
dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb

You are done. Launch your webpage, again with my IP address
http://192.168.1.1:9000/



Good luck

12 comments:

  1. if I had Logitech Media Server to my MyBook Live for my Squeeze Box Boom, will my Sonos system still work?

    Thanks

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps.. If I add not had


    soory

    ReplyDelete
  3. updated commands for latest version of LMS:

    cd /DataVolume/shares/Public
    aptitude update
    wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.7.3/logitechmediaserver_7.7.3_all.deb
    dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.7.3_all.deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. After the WD upgraded to firmware v04.00.00-607 it seems that the Logitech media server don't run.
    Tryed to reinstall but cannot acces it from the browser.
    After running "dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.7.3_all.deb" (and 7.8.0 as well) I get a number of errors like:
    "dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libssh2-1armhf'missing; assuming package has no file currently installed"

    Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. refer to my other post under WD NAS Section, After firmware upgrade you need to re-install LMS. I had to delete the old files and re-install LMS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Manni. I have tried that now but can't get it working on the new release.

      Delete
  6. It seemed the my WD was defective. It has been changed and it now Works. However I have not upgrade the firmware 3.x to 4.x. Does LMS Work on 4.x after re-install?

    Regard Steen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it works. I got the new wd firmware and the latest LMS as well. Just use the new url
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.8.0/logitechmediaserver_7.8.0_all.deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just installed LMS 7.8.0 on my WDMyCloud v04.01.02-417. All seemed fine during installation, save for a few warning messages. First I tried remapping Twonky port to 8000, but still couldn't access LMS on 9000. Then I tweaked Twonky back to 9000, confirmed it's back at that port. Disabled Twonky. But no matter what, can't access LMS on my network, on any port. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated (I'm not a seasoned Linux head). LMS starts without any errors on the command line, not sure where else to look for error log.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try ports like 9001,9002 etc, it increments port number by 1 until it finds a free port to use.

      If not, uninstall LMS, and reinstall with Option 2. Let LMS find its own free port.

      Delete
  9. Hello Manni,

    Are you still able to use LMS with latest firmware of WD (v04.04.04-101)? It used to run fine with v03, but I could not get to to run with new firware. If you are able to use it, can you give a link to deb file?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you upgrade your firmware, you need to uninstall and reinstall LMS. There is no other workaround.

    Check my link for uninstall and reinstall instructions.

    ReplyDelete